It was on the afternoon of July 20 th, 1993, at Hotel Borobudur, where it all began. Initiated by Ms. Poppy Dharsono (then became APPMI President), Ms.Pia Alisjahbana (Femina & Dewi magazine) and Mr. Harry Darsono (haute couture designer) with the support 0f 20 other designers in an informal gathering, the INDONESIA FASHION Together with the objective of accommodating the needs of Indonesian designers, in an effort to promote and market Indonesian fashion products through annual fashion shows and media coverage. The organization serves as a training ground, in grooming up coming talent and introducing them into the fashion market, then bringin forth fresh innovations in creativity and flavor in the industry.
Today, APPMI in supported by 65 active members comprising of both senior and promosing talented designers from Jakarta, Bandung, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, Lampung, Medan and Pontianak: all of which operate their retail outlets in major cities throughout Indonesia. Each designer displaying their own market niche and specialities, from moslem wear to office uniforms, ready to wear, ready to wear deluxe, hand made batik to silk embroidery. Among APPMI activities below are:
- FASHION TENDANCE (since 1993-present), members’ annual forecasting fashion show.
- INDONESIA FASHION GRAND PRIX CONTEST (1995-1998), APPMI as the coordinator for preselecting national winners which contestes among fashion school students. Then the three selected winners’ presented their works in Osaka, Japan.
- ASIAN FASHION GRAND PRIX CONTEST (1995-1998), APPMI fashion the chaperon for the three Indonesian contestants to the international young fashion designers contest in Osaka. Besides the Indonesian designers, the contest also participated by 30 other contestants from 10 countries. The winning contestant will get one million Yen cash prize, and organized by Association of Total Fashion.
- ASIA PACIFIC YOUNG FASHION DESIGNRS SHOW (1996-present), each APPMI member, at 35 of age or younger, gets the opportunity to show his/her collection among 9 other designers from Asia Pacific countries at Fall/Winter Hong Kong Fashion Week, and organized by Hong Kong Trade Development Council.
- APPMI has also contributed for some fashion articles and photo on national magazine, newspaper and websites.
- For the first time, APPMI joined an International fashion at Bali Fashion Week in the year 2000, last year, to promote and market its members’ speciality fashion product. This will be on APPMI annual agenda.
- APPMI has staged some of important shows such as Men’s Fashion Trend, Traditional Tie Dye, Teen’s Fashion Trend, Atlanta Olympic Uniform Contest for Indonesian Athelets (sponsored by Citibank), televised Indosiar Variety Show “ gebyar BCA’ for the artists costumes.
- INDONESIA FASHION WEEK (2011-present) as the biggest fashion movement and an annual trade event for fashion industry in Indonesia
As we are in the new millennium with positive with positive anticipation, more research and development shall be undertaken and more talents shall be sought after, all together in an effort to better serve the community through the fahion industry of Indonesia.